Friday, January 17, 2014

Cleaning a Top Loading Washing Machine

Happy Friday!!

Okay so, I have a confession... a few months ago I had no clue people washed their washing machine. When I thought about it, of course it made sense but it is not something that was on my Saturday-Morning chore list when I was a kid! Well after learning this little cleaning tid bit, I was instantly intrigued. I began looking it up on Pinterest (Duh!) and was very upset that most posts used bleach, something I have not aloud in my cleaning routine in awhile! I decided to omit the bleach and try cleaning the machine with just white vinegar.

All you will need is:


  • 4 1/2 cups White Vinegar (or however much you prefer)
  • Measuring Cup
  • Rags (to clean all those little crevices under the washing machine lid)
  • Scrub Brush

Just to prove to you that a washing machine is FILTHY here is mine before I cleaned it..... this is a little embarrassing so no judging, please!

 
 
To start cleaning, start a cycle on warm/cold, and let the machine fill. Once it is full, add the vinegar. I added 4 1/2 cups.
 
 
 
Then you can lightly scrub the inside of your washing machine. I also used extra vinegar to wash the seal, the 'fabric softener' compartment, and just about everywhere else I could find dirt. After I lightly scrubbed the inside of my washing machine little 'things' began floating to the top!!! GROSS!
 
 
 
.... sadly there was more....
 
 
 
Now let the machine just sit full of water for an hour! DO NOT LET THE CYCLE START!
 
After a full hour, go start the cycle. Once the cycle is done, all you have left to do is look at your sparkling, clean washing machine! :)
 
 
 
 
 Just to prove my point! Here is the before and after:
 
 


 

Thanks for reading!! :)
 
-Brooke 

No comments:

Post a Comment