Friday, January 10, 2014

Where it all began! "The No Poo Method"


Hello Again!

To start out I want to share with you why and how I became interested in what chemicals were in my cleaning, beauty and personal care products. IT WAS BY TOTAL ACCIDENT!  I was talking with some friends, one of which is a cosmetologist, who told me about a method of cleansing your hair called "The No Poo Method." At first I was like "WHAT?! No poo???" I couldn't imagine not using shampoo to clean my hair! It turns out that this is a method of cleansing your hair without the suds. Again, my reaction "WHAT?! I love the suds from shampoo... and that amazing scent!" However, I was instantly intrigued.

I began reading blogs, researching, and watching YouTube videos on The No Poo Method. I found that it is extremely easy and cost effective to cleanse your hair via No Poo. All you need is:
 

·         Two Spray Bottles

·         Baking Soda

·         Apple Cider Vinegar (I have not been using organic ACV) 

·         A Funnel

·         Measuring Spoons/Cups

 

To make your 'Shampoo' mix about 1 Tbsp. Baking Soda to 1 cup of water in your spray bottle and mix it up! (NOTE: This is NOT an exact science, use less baking soda if you prefer or use more if you feel you need it.)
 

To make your 'Conditioner' you can simply mix the Apple Cider Vinegar and water, 1 cup to 1 cup, in your spray bottle. (NOTE: Again, not an exact science, dilute it down or use more vinegar if you would like) And because I know what you are thinking... No, your hair will not smell like vinegar, I promise.
 

In the shower, wet down your hair as you would any other day and spray the Baking Soda/Water mixture all over your head. I personally focus on my scalp. Massage the mixture into your hair, remember you are not going to get suds. After a few minutes, rinse out your hair completely. Then spray on the Apple Cider Vinegar/Water mixture on the same way. At this point I pin my hair up with a clip to let the 'Conditioner" soak in. Let this sit while you shave or wash your body. After a few minutes, rinse it all out!
 

Okay, so now that you know what 'No Poo' is and how to make it on your own, you probably want to know WHY you would use this method. To start out, take a look at the ingredient list on your current shampoo and conditioner bottles. Chances are you are looking at a long list of hard to pronounce chemicals that are no good for your hair or your health! Ingredients like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/ Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Synthetic Glycols, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbates, Synthetic Fragrances and MUCH more. Most of these chemicals are very dangerous and may have a magnitude of negative effects on your health. The FDA knows these chemicals to have these effects but claim it is safe because the chemicals are used in small amounts. I don't know about you, but my guess it no one uses a product once in their lifetime. Therefore our bodies build up toxic levels of these chemicals which puts you, the consumer, at a health risk.

Commercial shampoo strips all the oils (natural and synthetic) out of your hair, then the conditioner replaces the oils with synthetic conditioners. This is why your hair currently gets greasy or oily after a day or so. The oil glands on your scalp essentially get "confused" when all the oil is removed, they go into overdrive to moisturize your hair when you JUST put synthetic oils and toxins on it! This being said, when you start "No Poo" you may go through a transition period where your hair gets oily or greasy while your scalp adjusts. Depending on your hair, this period may barely be noticeable or last a few months! :( STAY DETERMINED AND STICK WITH IT. I promise it's worth it!!! I have used "No Poo" for over a year now and I am very happy with the result! I have had no issues and barely experienced a transition period. Although, if you are not comfortable with using baking soda shampoo or it irritates your scalp, do not fear… I have found another recipe and plan on trying and sharing it! 

**This is just a sliver of the chemicals used, on a later post I will illustrate some of the negative effects of common chemicals ingredients. I strongly encourage you to do a little research yourself. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has great lists of the chemicals to avoid if you want to check it out until I can post about it.

Sorry that was so long! I have so much to share with you, cannot wait until my next post.

-Brooke :)

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog from Kate when she posted it on facebook! I was interested because I blog as well! Great read, and I will be looking into the chemicals in shampoo and conditioner. It's interesting to think about how shampoo takes away all of the natural oils in our hair, and than the conditioner we put onto our hair replaces it with synthetic oils. Very interesting to think about!!!!!! How does this formula you made work with DE-tangling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! Thank you for checking my blog out, I just subscribed to yours! It really is surprising to see those chemicals in our beloved products. I have not had any issues with tangles. You can always do more to moisturizer your hair like a coconut oil treatment. If you are interested I do have a recipe for a nontoxic detangler that I plan on making soon for my sister! Thanks Again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Brookie! Very interesting and I think your old Great Auntie will give it a try. On the detangler issue. I purchased a "wet brush" from Ultimate Design. I understand that you need to purchase that specific brand as the others are not as effective. The Wet Brush works wonders when "brushing" out wet long hair...and the nice thing is you don't use any chemicals on your hair, such as a spray on detangler. I look forward to your other blogs.

    ReplyDelete